Friday, May 22, 2015

Sabrina Bracken- Colloquium Journal #2




During the campus walked I learned a lot! The most interesting thing I learned was that there was a forest fire in the nature trail in 2004 that was actually beneficial to the trees. I never thought that fires could be a good thing in nature. It was very interesting to learn about all the different kinds of trees, dead and alive. I also really enjoyed talking about the frogs because it’s crazy how a tiny little frog can actually be deadly to humans and other animals. Everything we learned on the nature walk was pretty much new knowledge to me. I’ve never really been the outdoorsy type, so hearing this information was pretty new to me. The walk helped me develop my sense of place because it gave me new places to consider. Like I said previously I’m not very outdoorsy so this opportunity to see such a beautiful place in nature really made me think about my sense of place in nature. This walk reminded me about FGCU’s impact on the environment. Our campus is very environmentally conscious which is one of the reasons I love this university. It’s so great to see how much time and effort our university has put in to preserve and protect the nature and wildlife on campus. I connect with the ecological footprint of FGCU because I’m a student who loves this university and by loving the university I love everything it stands for. FGCU’s mission is to be sustainable and I believe we, as an entire university, become more sustainable every day. I learned a lot about sustainability on this walk and how important it is to be a sustainable university. The walk made me proud to say I’m a student at Florida Gulf Coast University.




“The children and nature movement is fueled by this fundamental idea: the child in nature is an endangered species, and the health of children and the health of the Earth are inseparable.” (Richard Louv).

My favorite place on campus is Sugden Hall, the Resort and Hospitality Building.  The building is my second home and I feel great when I’m there. My major is my passion so I like to be in Sugden because it feels like I have a genuine purpose when I’m there. My favorite place at home is the creek in my neighborhood. It’s a very peaceful place with a beautiful bridge connecting two sides of land over the water. It has plenty of picnic tables for families to come and relax. It also has a beautiful waterfall. It’s one of the best places I’ve ever been and it’s great to meet up with friends or go read a book and relax on a nice spring day. In my community my favorite place is a town center called Fairfax Town Center in Virginia. It has a lot of outdoor dining options, fun activities, and it’s a place where you can almost be sure that you will run into an old friend. It’s my favorite place to go when I’m home visiting my friends and family. They help with my understanding of my sense of place because they’re the places that molded me into the woman I am today. They’ve been places where good things have happened, where bad things have happened and where my life has taken me. I’m thankful for such amazing places helping me find a sense of place.

No comments:

Post a Comment